All English 8 teachers have adopted the ELA Common Core Standards that will be implemented in all English 8 classes. Curriculum maps have been developed and can be found here. Reminders about common essay practices, Literary Elements, and vocabulary are included on this site.
Students should study these terms and know them well for the exam. Various short stories will be read and explored during the unit. All reading will be done in class. Short stories read include:
- "The Tell Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe
- "Raymond's Run" by Toni Cade Bambara
- "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" by Ray Bradbury
- "The Treasure of Lemon Brown" by Walter Dean Myers
- "The Landlady" by Roald Dahl
- Essays should not be typed on "notepad," on your cell phone, or on other basic applications. Stick to Microsoft Word.
- Students may not use a Late Work Pass on an essay.
- Do not email your essay. Use a USB drive to save your work and then bring it to the library for printing (before school).
- All essays must be typed, double spaced and in Times New Roman 12 point font.
- Do not forget the proper heading! There should not be any pictures, page numbers, etc. on your essay. Just the heading, title, and essay.
Standard English Department sample heading format.